My first recipe post!
The inspiration for this courgetti carbonara is my favourite pasta sauce carbonara. Courgetti is a a pasta-like substitute made from courgettes. Courgette + Spaghetti = courgetti! It doesn’t have quite the same texture as spaghetti but is a great way of eating extra veg.
Today’s dinner was a bit of a throw-things-together experiment which I do believe worked very well. It was light, tasty and perfect for a summer evening. I’ve been coveting a spiraliser (a funky piece of kitchen equipment that makes noodles out of vegetables) for ages. Yes, some girls (including me) covet handbags but I also covet kitchen equipment. I received a spiraliser for my recent birthday and since then I have been excited about trying out all of my old pasta recipes but substituting the pasta with vegetable noodles. I might need to get better at naming my dishes as this is a bit long!
- 2 tsps pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ onion, diced
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized courgette,
- ¼ head broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Handful spinach
- ½ lemon, juiced
- black pepper
- olive oil
- Toast the seeds in a frying pan, and set aside.
- Sauté the garlic, onion and sun-dried tomato in a little olive oil. Meanwhile spiralise the courgette's into spaghetti and steam in a little water along with the broccoli for a couple of minutes (don't let them get too soft).
- Drain the courgette spaghetti and broccoli and add to the frying pan along with the onion and garlic etc.
- Crack the egg into the frying pan, and continue to stir all the ingredients until the courgette is coated and the egg is no longer raw. Add the spinach and keep stirring till slightly wilted, squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Tip out onto serving plate and top with the toasted seeds, black pepper and some parsley.