Today I had a craving for chicken, also some fresh summery flavours. My speciality one-pot curries and stews just don’t work in the summer! Anyway, thought I’d have a go at creating a sort of lasagna dish as I had some courgettes and aubergine that could work as ‘pasta’. This dish is of course nothing like your regular lasagna, but uses the same idea of layering. There are so many varieties of dishes you could achieve with this idea. Delish 🙂
Ingredients (serves 3)
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of pine nuts
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 large courgette
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- First prepare the sauce. Place all sauce ingredients into a blender (or use a hand-blender) and pulse until smooth. The sauce should be a lovely creamy pink colour.
- Dice the chicken breasts, and lightly fry until browned over a medium heat.
- Slice the courgettes and aubergine lengthways into thin, flat slices.
- Take an oven-dish and lay a layer of aubergines’s to cover the base of the dish.
- Add all of the chicken next, then a layer of courgettes, and finally the rest of the aubergine.
- Pour the creamy-pink tomato sauce over the top and spread to ensure even coverage.
- Season with a sprinkling of salt and black pepper.
- Bake uncovered in the oven f0r 40 minutes until the top of the aubergine is crispy and brown.
I served mine with a little extra basil on top and a side salad of spinach, grated carrot and purple cabbage.
This dish is suitable for freezing, which is what I will do with these below…1