When last week on Facebook I had seen that Matt and Keris from Fitter London had made a paleo pâté with Mackerel, I just had to find out how, particularly as I have literally been googling with no avail ‘paleo mackerel pâté ’ & ‘pâté no dairy’ etc etc for ages, as I was sure that there could be a way of making a pâté without cream cheese. Anyway, the basic recipe was exchanged across the gym floor – “throw some mushrooms, onions, garlic in a frying pan then blend with some mackerel” and hey presto. Here’s my take on the basic recipe with some quantities for guidance. I had a few friends round for dinner this week and it made a fantastc dinner party starter!
Ingredients (serves 4 as a starter)
- 2 smoked, Peppered Mackerel fillets
- 250g pack of organic chestnut mushrooms
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- parsley to dress (fresh preferable over dried)
- olive oil
- Finely dice the onion & garlic and sauté in a little oil in a frying pan till softened.
- Dice the mushrooms and add them to the frying pan.
- Once the mushrooms are browned, tip all of the mixture into a blender and blend.
- Take the mackerel fillets, remove the skin and flake into the blender with the mushroom mix.
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- Scoop into 4 serving dishes, top with parsley.