I had a random bunch of left over ingredients in my fridge, which as spare parts just didn’t constitute a meal – half a pepper, a courgette, some cherry tomatoes and a half opened can of coconut milk. Since I haven’t had spiralized courgette ‘pasta’ in a while I decided to use this as the base for my dish, and do something with the rest to create a sauce. As an experiment I was thrilled with how this turned out. I am loving how I now have the confidence to experiment with flavours to create new dishes – it brings so much satisfaction to enjoying a healthy meal. Top tip is to keep store cupboard ingredients like garlic, pine nuts and sun-dried tomatoes hanging about. You never know when you might need them to spice up the flavour of a dish…
Ingredients (serves 1)
- For the sauce: half an orange pepper, a few cherry tomatoes, clove garlic, 1/2 tablespoon pine-nuts, handful fresh basil, 2 sun-dried tomatoes, 4 tablespoons coconut milk, squeeze lemon juice, olive oil for sauteing,
- To serve: 1 spiralized courgette + 1 grilled turkey steak
- First dice and saute the garlic in a little olive oil. Add the pepper, cherry tomatoes, pine nuts and cook until the peppers start to char.
- Transfer ingredients to a blender, and add in the sun-dried tomatoes, basil, lemon juice, coconut milk and blend until smooth.
- Spiralize the courgette (I have a fancy gadget that does this), and saute in a touch of oil until softened.
- Pour the sauce over the courgette and top with a freshly cooked turkey steak and extra fresh basil.