These aren’t recipes as such, but ideas for what to eat for Breakfast, for some breakfast can be the hugest hurdle to get over when switching to Paleo. In the weekdays as I usually work-out first thing in the morning, it’s really important for me to have a protein breakfast after I train, usually sat at my desk. For years I ate porridge with a banana, which was really convenient, cheap and easy to make in the office microwave. Breakfast like this therfore took a little getting used to but now I love it.
Take a look at these ideas – in my opinion (!) they are all really tasty, full of variety and what’s more do keep me filled up till lunch. I always try to add in at least 1 portion of fruit or veg to the meal to help my daily total work it’s way up.
I read once (I read a lot!) that you shouldn’t have coffee with food as it stops you taking in the nutrients from the food. Anyway, I stick by that and try to keep my coffee for mid-morning when I really need it (Am still failing miserably at trying to give it up!) Herbal tea is my drink of choice with my brekkie, and I’m obsessed with trying different flavours, but that’s a post for another day…
Here are some ideas, which I’ve been snapping since I began this blog (and yep I LOVE avocado). I’ll keep adding as the ideas keep flowing;
- Protein breakfast muffin, sliced in half and topped with half a ripe avocado, mashed with a tsp of almond butter
- Eggy tomato and pepper crustless quiche , with half a sliced avocado, a salad tomato, and a few king prawns
- Sliced turkey steak, with 2 hard-boiled eggs, and handful of cherry tomatoes.
This was perfect for a morning when I headed straight to a meeting from the gym and didn’t have access to the kitchen to prepare it!
- One of my protein muffins, topped with avocado, and served with a few king prawns, and cherry tomatoes
- Left over roast chicken, topped with an avocado mashed with a tsp of tahini and topped with some pine-nuts.
- Peppered mackerel with cherry tomatoes
- 2 egg, spinach and pea protein omelette
Mix 2 eggs with 2 tablespoons of pea protein, a tsp of almond butter and little water. In a frying pan lightly fry some shredded spinach in olive oil till it wilts, then add in the egg mix and cook (flipping half way) till browned.
- A few prawns, a salad tomato, scrambled egg (all cooked together for 60 seconds in a square Tupperware tub) with half a mashed avocado on the side
- 2 slices spinach breakfast loaf, topped with a mashed avocado and almond butter