Right, last day of baking for a while, and thought I should squeeze in one last sweet recipe . As I haven’t posted any cookie recipes as yet, thought these would be a good place to start. They were incredibly quick to prepare and smelt amazing whilst baking in the oven. They were taken from an American Blog, and I varied the quantities slightly – I didn’t really want to make 24 cookies! I should officially give a shout-out to the recipe writer – Civilised Caveman - an awesome recipe thank you!
When I first started looking for recipes I started to get irritated that they were mostly from American websites and therefore all the quantities were in cups – I didn’t have any! After a while I decided to buy some (got them for 79p in Asda…) Anyway as I know how annoying not having them is, today I weighed the ingredients after using my cups – both measurements included below. Yum.
Ingredients (makes 8 small cookies)
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds (50g)
- 1/4 cup dessicated coconut (25g) (try and use the variety that doesn’t have sulphur dioxide added)
- 1 medium apple grated (sweet such as Braeburn)
- 1 medium egg (free range of course)
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Grind the Almonds in a food processor, then add in the dessicated coconut, grated apple, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Continue to pulse as the mixture comes together into a sort of dough
- Use a fork or hand whisk to add in the egg.
- Melt the coconut and pour into the mixture, stir well.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and blob dessert spoon sized drops of the mixture onto the baking sheet (top tip to help the parchment stick to the tray spray the tray with olive oil first), shape into cookie shapes and flatten with the back of a teaspoon…
- Bake in the oven for 18 minutes, or till browned. Careful I nearly burnt mine (was to busy multi-tasking…)