If McDonalds did Paleo…
This recipe started as courgette fritter topped with smashed avocado – my version of the trendy avocado on toast. A recipe I’ve been trying to perfect since I posted my first attempt on instagram a while back. After playing with the fritter on consecutive days – add a parsnip, add a carrot, take out the egg, add coconut flour, still not quite right – I was almost ready to give up. I decided to have one last try and on that same day I had some bacon from my butchers swag bag languishing in my fridge. Brain ticks along a bit…
Amazingly I found a way of improving the fritter into a sturdier pancake, more like a muffin. Could this be strong enough to take the weight of that bacon along with the avocado, be topped with a second ‘muffin’, and with the help of a cocktail stick be eaten entirely with my fingers? Oh yes it was. Just like a McMuffin. Only way better.
To bind the muffin batter together I used an egg, some ground flax, coconut and tapioca flours. I received a coffee grinder for my birthday which also doubles up as a spice and flax grinder. Grinding the flax as you need it keeps it fresh and therefore less chance of going rancid. Flax, can over time go rancid – and once ground stored in the fridge or freezer to keep fresh. For flax’s full health benefits – oestrogen binding and omega 3 enhancing – it shouldn’t be heated. Once cooked it looses these benefits but does still contain a mighty dose of fibre. So long as you know this when you cook with flax you’re not putting anyone under any false sense of illusion.
I found this recipe frustratingly difficult to capture on camera. The photos above are from two consecutive days of breakfast shoots, which is why the avocado and bacon look slightly different in each photo. You’ll just have to make it yourself to appreciate its absolute breakfast or brunch beauty.
- 1 medium courgette, grated (approx 200g once grated)
- 2 Tbs coconut flour
- 1 Tbs ground flax
- 1 tsp tapioca flour
- ¼ tsp cumin
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- Coconut oil, to fry 'muffins'
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- rasher bacon, grilled
- sprinkling of fennel seeds
- Squeeze the excess moisture from the grated courgette and place in a bowl. Sprinkle in the coconut flour, flax, tapioca, cumin and salt, and stir well.
- Whisk the egg in a separate bowl then incorporate into the courgette mix. Bring together till you have a sloppy dough.
- Warm the coconut oil in a large pan on a medium heat, and dollop 2 mounds of courgette mix into the pan. You can use a large cookie cutter to help form 'muffin' shapes with the mix (or just leave them free-form). After 4-5 minutes flip over and cook on the other side. On a medium temp they take 10 minutes to cook into total. Don't be tempted to turn the heat up, the surface will burn and the middle will remain raw.
- When done, place the avocado slices on top with a sprinkling of fennel seeds, a slice of grilled bacon and the second muffin. Secure with a cocktail stick, pick up with your hands and eat!