Liver? In a salad? Yes really. If it works for Rachel Khoo and her ‘Little Paris Kitchen’ then it works for me and my ‘Little South East London Kitchen’.
At a nutrition lecture a few weeks back (I’ve just finished a short course at CNM in London) the topic was Vitamins and Minerals. Amongst the fairly obvious conclusion that leafy green veg are flipping amazing and full of just about every Vitamin and Mineral under the sun, it struck me how frequently organ meats cropped up heaps also. I kind of knew this at the back of my head, but since they hadn’t been a staple of my weekly shop thus far, I have to keep reminding myself to buy and experiment with them. So far I’ve only ventured into liver and concluded that Duck = fab for Pate’s, Lambs liver = I really don’t like, and now Chicken = also good in that same pate recipe as well as this salad.
Liver is really economical to buy, which therefore means that you can afford to go Organic and Free Range, which as I’ve said before – you really should. I can only compare battery farmed cheap liver, to eating the liver of an alcoholic tramp (sorry to be crude but that’s what I think of!) The Organic Chicken Liver I’ve used in this recipe is from Waitrose, who have a great range of reasonably priced Organic meat.
This was really quick to make, and really scrummy too. A lovely fast food summer dish.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1/4 onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 125g of organic free-range chicken livers, trimmed, cleaned and sliced into bite-sized pieces.
- 200g oyster mushrooms, sliced
- Sprinkle of fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Dressing: 1/2 T apple cider vinegar, 1/2 T extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2tsp grainy mustard, squeeze of lemon juice
- Handful of spinach, watercress and rocket leaves
- Heat a little oil in a pan, and the onion and garlic and cooked till softened.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, then the chicken livers, fresh rosemary and a little salt and pepper, fry for 3-5 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile make up the dressing (I use an old nut-butter/jam jar to shake the ingredients together).
- Arrange the leaves in a salad bowl, tip in the cooked liver & mushrooms, pour over the dressing and toss all together to serve.