Earlier this week I had a side salad in one of my favourite lunchtime cafes, (Niven\’s in King’s Cross, London) and I loved the combination of beetroot and mackerel together (along with the Harissa chicken I had for main).
In order to keep my home-prepared salads a little more interesting than leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, protein + dressing I thought it might be fun to re-create this at home. Whoever said salad’s are boring is SO wrong. This was absolutely delicious. So easy and quick to prepare, and you could really add whatever extra ingredients you have to hand – just don’t go to overboard with the flavours as the mackerel has quite a strong taste already. The roasted beetroot is messy and takes a little time to cook but well worth the wait – in fact my fingernails are still pink! Roasted beets would keep for a few days in the fridge.
- A mix of green leaves – baby spinach, lambs lettuce and rocket
- Baby plum tomatoes
- Yellow pepper
- 4 raw beetroots (approx 700g), scrubbed
- 2 smoked mackerel fillets
- Olive oil
- Dressing: Flax oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice
- Optional – Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Scrub the beetroot and roast in its skins with a glug of olive oil for around 1hr. The beets cook better if you cover them with foil or baking parchment as it locks the heat in.
- Meanwhile prepare the dressing – mix a tsp of dijon mustard with a glug of flax oil and squeeze of lemon juice. Alternatively there are lots of good salad dressing recipes here or here.
- Mix salad leaves with halved tomatos and diced peppers in a large bowl.
- When beetroot is cooked, cool, peel, dice and throw in with the leaves.
- Warm the mackerel for 30 seconds in microwave and flake into the salad.
- Add the dressing along with black pepper and mix well before serving into individual bowls.
- If you’re extra hungry chopped walnuts would make an excellent addition to this salad.